Targeted Interventions focusing on High Risk Groups and bridge population are largely urban centric. However 57% of HIV infections are from rural areas (Link Worker Scheme, Operational Guidelines, NACO). It is therefore imperative to extend prevention, care & support services to the rural areas as well.
Link Worker Scheme (LWS) aims at reaching out to High Risk Groups (HRGs) & vulnerable (at risk) population in rural areas with information, knowledge, skills for HIV /STI prevention & risk reduction.
LWS is being implemented in 8 districts of Mizoram, viz. Aizawl, Lunglei, Champhai, Kosalsib, Siaha, Lawngtlai, Serchhip and Mamit. FIWDC is currently implementing the scheme in Aizawl and Lunglei districts covering more than 160 villages in the two districts. Mizoram State AIDS Control Society (MSACS) is the nodal agency.
- High Risk Groups
- Female sex workers (FSW)
- Male having sex with male (MSM)
- Intravenous Drug Users (IDU)
- Vulnerable groups
- Bridge population (Migrants, Truckers)
- clients / spouses / partners of HRG, Bridge population & PLHIVs
- Youth population
SERVICES PROVIDED UNDER LWS
– Advocacy with stakeholders
– Community Outreach, mobilization & establishing linkages with HIV services
– Formation of condom depots, increasing availability & usage of condoms
– Creating enabling environment for PLHAs & their families